'Star Wars' Episode 7 News Response From Carrie Fisher, Will Princess Leia Return?
After news broke Disney bought Lucasfilm Oct. 30 for $4.05 billion and announced plans to release at least three new "Star Wars" films, beginning in 2015, we heard murmurs of Harrison Ford's purported interest in once again appearing in the series. And now actress Carrie Fisher has commented on her possible involvement in "Star Wars: Episode VII," as well.
Like Us on Facebook
TMZ surrounded Fisher while the actress was walking her dog and asked if a return for "Episode VII" might happen. "Yes, sure," Fisher replied. Pushed to clarify further if she would indeed star in "Star Wars" if approached, the Princess Leia actress retorted, "Wouldn't you?"
Entertainment Weekly reported similar interest from Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Fisher earlier in the week.
"Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he's upbeat about it, all three of them are," an unnamed source claimed to Entertainment Weekly, referring to the 70-year-old Han Solo actor, along with his original co-stars Hamill, and Fisher.
Hamill revealed he and Fisher had found out about the new films two months ago when Lucas took the pair to lunch. "He said, 'We decided we're going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,'" Hamill told EW.com. "I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!'"
Lucas biographer Dale Pollock commented on Lucasfilm's sale, and Episode VII at large, and assured fans that Disney will almost certainly be using Lucas's outlines for the next three films. "Writers will absolutely take his outline. That's in part what Disney bought," Pollock said.
Disney reportedly has a "very lengthy treatment" to begin the development process for the new trilogy, according to the company's CFO Jay Rasulo, and at least one of the films will likely be released in 3-D, a prediction that anyone who's been to theaters in the last two years could have easily made.
Disney CEO Bob Iger says the company plans to release a new "Star Wars" film every two to three years after "Episode VII."
"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see 'Star Wars' passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas, the 68-year-old chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."
Sci-Fi author Timothy Zahn, who popularized the so-called "Expanded Universe" of "Star Wars" with The Thrawn Trilogy back in 1991, admitted recently his own novels could become the basis or part of the inspiration for the three new films.
The Thrawn Trilogy is a series of novels about Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia set five years after the end of "Return of the Jedi."
According to Zahn, he was "briefed" on Lucas' plans for sequels years ago and how the Thrawn books would fit in. "The original idea as I understood it- and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he's thinking right now - but it was going to be three generations," said Zahn to Entertainment Weekly.
"You'd have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke's father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke's children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap," the author said.
Zahn's trilogy, which began with "Heir to the Empire," gets its name from the new villain at its core: a blue-skinned, red-eyed Imperial general, Thrawn, who reconstructs The Empire from the remains of Vader and the Emperor's evil army after the two are killed in "Return of the Jedi."
While no one is officially on board for Episode VII yet, Collider reported that "Kick-Ass" director Matthew Vaughn was in talks with Lucasfilm to helm "Star Wars: Episode VII."
Vaughn has also directed "Stardust," "Layer Cake," and "X-Men: First Class."
"My sources tell me this is the main reason he dropped out of the 'X-Men' sequel," reported Collider.
The site notes if Vaughn is being lined up by Disney to helm the film, it's likely a similar contract to the agreement director Marc Web signed while directing the newest, "Spider Man." Most likely a film-by-film basis, "with the assumption that if the first film is a success and he wants to come back, he could," said Collider.
"Safety Not Guaranteed" director Colin Trevorrow is now also reportedly being considered to direct the upcoming "Star Wars: Episode VII," reports Celebuzz.
Trevorrow recently met with Lucas to discuss the potential project because his time travel comedy "Safety Not Guaranteed" was a hit at Lucasfilm.
The meeting between Lucas and Trevorrow apparently took place several months before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney in a multibillion dollar deal. A source close to the production has indicated that Trevorrow's chat with Lucas went well enough that he is now being seriously considered to direct the next Star Wars movie.
Lucasfilm and Trevorrow have offered no comment.